Friday, August 22, 2008

Overcoming Shyness

Overcoming Shyness

If you are a shy person, you know how it can affect your life. There are moments and events you miss simply because you feel insecure about what you have to say. You may think that no one will want to hear your thoughts, and that perhaps you will be a burden rather than someone who might have something interesting to say. I have been rather shy my entire life, and overcoming shyness has been something that has lead to some of the most interesting moments in my life. The first shot is always the most painful, but the rewards are endless.

A few years ago I was confronted with the presence of my favorite singer. He was right there, and he knew me because I had recently attended a few of his shows. He was on his way into the hotel bar when he stopped to say hello and called me by name. The friend that was with me was not shy and she said she wanted to go into the bar to say hello to everyone. It took a lot for me, but I took a chance in overcoming shyness and walk into that bar with her. When I went in, he saw me and smiled, and waited for me to come over to talk to him. Granted, there aren’t many performers like him, but I thank God that my friend pushed me into overcoming shyness because I ended up having an amazing few hours with him, and it’s a memory I will never forget.

Overcoming shyness is not easy, and it often comes down to a once in a lifetime opportunity, like the one I had. I knew in my mind that I would be shaking when I went in to talk to him, but I also knew that this moment might never come again. He is such a nice person though, and even though I knew that, it didn’t make overcoming shyness any easier. I had to do it though, and I think perhaps he even knew it, and that is why he was so sweet and attentive to me.

If you have problems overcoming shyness, you have to remind yourself of what you are missing. You have to see your fears through to the end and decide if it is really as bad as you are imagining it to be. Run the scene through in your mind to the worst possible ending, and you might see that it’s not a matter of life and death. The worst that can happen often does not happen, though when overcoming shyness you may not see it. Give yourself a chance, and be positive. That can go a long way towards becoming a more outgoing and fun loving person.

No comments: